The Official Ookie Panda Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Ookie Panda Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chat Box or IRC?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ookie Panda
Admin
Ookie Panda

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 pm

This question might be a no-brainer to some. But, I must ask.. as a means of instant communication, which is preferable? An IRC channel, or the chat box on the forum?

Chat Box
Pros: It's on the forum itself. You don't have to do ANYTHING except click "log in". The proper roles of each member are already assigned (I am admin of the box, mods would be OPs, etc.. not like I need mods or ops at this point..). Very easy and straightforward text formatting like bolds, strikes, and even colors. Some IRC commands are even available like "/me"

Cons: NO NOTIFICATIONS. Users are obligated to check the chat on their own. Also a bit of lag, as the auto-refresh is not perfect. Because of it being on the forum itself, it is also a con because users don't like to stay on the forum just for a chat, so inconvenience is a problem.

IRC
Pros: Convenient for some old-time members who are familiar with IRC, and join IRC channels regularly anyway. Lots of fun commands and text formatting if you know how to do it. With a bot, statistics are available. Overall, familiarity with it and therefore more activity.

Cons: For those unfamiliar with IRC, figuring it out is usually discouraging, because they're lazy. Sometimes one or several clicks away is too much.

Both means of chat are pretty straightforward in my opinion.. what do you all think? uwu
Back to top Go down
http://ookiepanda.blogspot.com/
Smarth

Smarth

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Irc, I like to be notified...even if I'm just idling. Plus Irc doesn't kick idlers...Ookie does though :3
Back to top Go down
Jelly

Jelly

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:01 pm

IRC. Chatboxes are for poetry sites and computing forums.
Back to top Go down
Ookie Panda
Admin
Ookie Panda

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 pm

RACIST.

(joke)
owo
Back to top Go down
http://ookiepanda.blogspot.com/
Jelly

Jelly

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 pm

I write poetry. 3:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chat Box or IRC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Box or IRC?   Chat Box or IRC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chat Box or IRC?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Ookie Panda Forum :: Important Stuff :: Your Two Cents-
Jump to: